A bit about the role:
We are a diverse team of engineers that work on everything from scaling media servers around the world to building highly performant and complex UI on iOS and Android. We are pushing the limits on real time interactivity. We are looking for engineers who like to work with exceptional people on challenging problems.
As a Principal Backend Engineer at Airtime you will be responsible for designing and building large scale distributed systems that will help carry Airtime into the future. Additionally this role will be involved in improving the existing REST API that clients use for transactional operations, and a persistent websocket service for low latency messaging. You will help build and maintain microservices that dispatch push notifications to mobile clients, handle messaging, analytics, and other core business features.
We’re looking for an exceptional Principal Backend Engineer to join us on our journey. If you’re a strong self-starter who also likes working with a high-impact, cross-functional, collaborative team and enjoys autonomy and empowerment… keep reading!
A bit about the work:
- Help build a system that is scalable, maintainable, and secure
- Design, code, and debug
- Recommend and build upon new technologies that can help increase productivity
- Write extensive tests to ensure that the features provided are reliable, and write thorough documentation so that client teams know how to use those features
- Utilize load tests and monitoring to make sure that our system is always capable of running at peak performance under load conditions
A bit about you:
- 10+ years professional software engineering experience
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or a related field (or foreign equivalent)
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong analytical skills
- Excellent organizational and leadership skills
- Proven experience in high-level programming languages
- Thorough understanding of modeling and scaling MongoDB and SQL
- Building and maintaining modern REST APIS (GraphQL a plus)
- Significant experience building scalable systems
- Proven track record of completing multiple projects
- Experience working with a microservices architecture
- Proficient understanding of Docker
- Comfortable working within AWS ecosystem (ECS, Lambda, RDS)
- Experience with socket.io / uWebSockets
- Experience using continuous integration with CircleCI or equivalent
- Bonus points: Node.js and experience working with ML and recommendation systems
A bit about Airtime:
Founded by Sean Parker, our mission is to empower people to create thriving online communities around shared interests, experiences, and passions. A goal like that doesn’t happen without an amazing team. With over 100 wonderful people in three offices across the country, we’re working hard to create the most welcoming online live social space out there, not only in our product but also in our organization.